The 2009 Baldwin-Wallace College women’s spring golf team is looking to improve on its 2008 fall season and build on a third-place finish at last year’s Ohio Athletic Conference Championship Tournament.The Yellow Jackets are led by Head Coach Sean Strickland, who is in his first season as women’s golf coach and assistant women’s basketball coach.

Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Blood Thirsty Branches

First, I wanted to say congrats to the whole team on doing a good job at the tournament! I think we're off to a good start and can only get better. It's gonna be a good year.

So..there's this one hole in Creekwood that we have dubbed the Par 3 of DEATH!! Lol. XD But anyway, it is my duty to tell you my experience on it. I'm sure you'll find it entertaining.

Day one of the tournament and I got off to a good start and I'm just going along until I get to the Par 3of DEATH. I hit my first ball, which goes right and into the woods. So I hit a provisional which ends up just off the back of the green. I'm thinking that that's okay. I'll just shoot for double, because that's all I could get with a chip and one putt.

So we go over and start looking for my ball. Which we find. Not out of bounds. Which would have been perfectly fine with me. But it is down in this ditch right by a tree root. And I get to hit it out. So I'm like okay. Let's try this. Then...CRACK! My club hits the root and I don't see where the ball goes. (The next day, the girl I was playing with thought I broke my wrist when I hit the root. Lol.) But then I hear it bounce on the cart path behind me and see it bounce further into the woods. Great.

So my ball is further in the woods surrounded by a ton of branches. Small, very sharp branches. I wedge my way into them and try to uncover my ball by throwing the branches aside, and I finally got it somewhat cleared away. So I try a practice swing. I can't take the club straight back. I can only pick up up and basically karate chop the ball. And to my amazement, this works, and the ball pops out into the middle of the fairway, safely.

I chipped the ball up and to my excitement, one putted. I got away with my double in a very odd fashion.

But the best part of the story is when I looked at my legs. Four scratches on my legs from the branches that actually drew blood! Yup. The Par 3 of DEATH is really blood thirsty. And it got me. Oh well. The next day I parred and was happy. So I got back at it.

Alright. You've heard my experience. Good luck. I really think they should put a sign over there that says "Abandon all hope ye who play this hole."